Monday, December 11, 2017

Fruit

I found a fruit in Zambia that I really like. It is hard to beat fresh mangos here but there are many Zambian fruits found in the bush that we have been able to try. This particular fruit is in season now and is pronounced "mauwi" in some local languages. It is the size of an orange, yellow/green in color, and has a hard shell. To eat it you crack it open and there are many seeds inside covered with tasty fruit. The taste is almost like a cooked tart apple.

Last week, I found out that my body is not used to this fruit. It was my first time trying to eat a whole one. I was 3/4 of the way through it when my stomach started feeling weird. So I left the rest and departed to a home church meeting. My wife and I decided this time to take the motorcycle rather than doing the 45 minute walk that we normally take... which ended up being a good choice because I might have not made it back. Let's just say that I was supposed to be leading the group that day and I ended up leaving the group and vomiting several times. Thankfully, when practicing simple church the leader isn't all that important and the meeting went on just fine. I may need to try smaller amounts of fruit next time... but it may take a couple of weeks before I want to see, smell, or taste that fruit again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment